Monday, June 21, 2010

butter chicken


combine ½ cup of natural yoghurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon tumeric, 2 teaspoons garam masala, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger and 2 cloves of crushed garlic in a bowl. add 1kg chopped chicken breasts, stir well, cover and refrigerate overnight.

place 60g of roasted cashew nuts in a food processor and ground until fine.

heat 60g butter and 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil in a pan over medium heat, add 1 finely chopped onion, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 bay leaf and cook for about 2 minutes under the onion starts to soften. reduce heat to low, add the chicken and marinade, and 2 teaspoons sweet paprika, 425ml tomato passata, the cashew powder and 150ml chicken stock. simmer for 20 minutes. stir in 1 cup of thickened cream and cook for a further 10 minutes.

garnish with whole cashew nuts, fresh coriander and serve with basmati rice and naan bread.

7 comments:

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

Although I am a vegetarian, your dish looks tempting :)

Seems you haven't posted anything for a long time! I hope all is well with you :)

Anonymous said...

I'm starving just reading the recipe.
Thanks for your comments.

linda may said...

Yum I love butter chicken. It was the dish with which I indoctrinated dear hubby into indian food. He loves Indian food now.

Toyin O. said...

Just wanted to thank you for visting my blog and your gracious comment. Have a lovely day!

Innovations said...

damn this actually sounds delicious... i might have to try it sometime!

findingmywingsinlife said...

Okay, not only do I love your poetry..but it seems that you speak a world of poetry with food as well :)

I'm gonna have to try out some of these recipes of yours whenever I manage to slow down a bit and take some time for myself.

Gotta tell you though, both of your blogs show what a wonderful and talented person you are :)

Talk to you soon!

SY said...

Crap now I'm hungry .. I just had breakfast... eggs and spinach... with chai.. for energy!!